just behind the great western gate of Babylon, the Coptic
Museum was founded in 1908 and expanded in 1947.
was damaged in the 1992 earthquake and one wing is still closed.
building which houses the collections is itself very attractive,
with wooden ceilings, traditional mashrabiyya (turned wood)
window lattices and inlaid stone fountain.
collection includes stone and wood architectural pieces, textiles,
frescos, icons, manuscripts, glass, ceramics and metal-work.
items are the earliest complete Coptic psalter (fourth/fifth
century), a Roman legion's eagle from Babylon (third/fourth
century), seventh-century frescos from the Middle Egyptian
Monastery of Bawit and stone-work from the Monastery of St
Jeremias at Saqqara (sixth to seventh century).